Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Breakfast on the terrace



Promised to post a recipe this week and here's my first one. It's so simple and quick that you'll want to make pancakes at least once a week. Had these for breakfast this morning with a cafe au lait on the terrace.

Buttermilk Pancakes (the measurements are all ones so it's really easy to remember as well)
1 cup buttermilk (or milk)
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Mix all the above ingredients together then set aside.

In another bowl, mix:
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
pinch of salt

Pour in the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk in just until the batter is liquid. Don't worry if it's lumpy and don't overmix or the pancakes will end up dry and flat.

Heat a non-stick skillet on medium high. Scoop out the pancakes using a small soup ladle (neater that way). Wait till bubbles start to form on the surface then flip over. They should be done in about two minutes.

Serve with powdered sugar, strawberries and bananas or just some warm maple syrup.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Yum, sounds great! And if you're a mommy with young kids, you can use a turkey baster instead of a ladle to create shaped pancakes, like Mickey Mouse, a sunflower, etc.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!! I will definitely try this weekend for the family!!!
Keep the recipes coming!!

Tanats

Anonymous said...

Great Job! I think it is wonderful what you have done. I will most definitely take your advice on were to eat and which coffee machine to purchase. I am not even sure we can purchase that brand of coffee machine here.

I do know that Lavazza has flooded the market! Chreers!
Rima

Anonymous said...

Roselyn,
What a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing your gourmet travels with us. I miss our chats over coffee in your kitchen in Dubai.

A quick question:
For the buttermilk in your pancake recipe, can I use LABAN instead or would the best substitute be milk?

Look forward to your next recipe.
Jacqui, the Meadows, Dubai.

Gourmet Traveller said...

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for checking out my blog. I looked it up and you can substitute buttermilk with this:
1 cup full-fat milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar
Mix both and leve for 5 to 10 minutes.

Alternatively, you can use plain non-sugared yoghurt or sour cream so I guess laban would be fine too. Try it and let me know how it goes.

Hope all is well! Dubai seems like so long ago....

Roselyn

P.S. I have a look at your website with the photos sometimes and see that the girls have grown so much.

Gourmet Traveller said...

Thanks for the tip Kristin! Now, I have to figure out where to get a turkey baster here in Marbella....maybe at the Hipercor?

Gourmet Traveller said...

Tanats,

Read below to see what you can replace for the buttermilk although I'm sure they have it in Frankfurt because the brand I buy here is German.

Have a great weekend!

Gourmet Traveller said...

Hi Rima,

Glad you liked it. Maybe you can get Marc the FrancisFrancis X6. I know his birthday is coming up. They serve illy at the Haagen Dazs cafe if I'm not mistaken.

Enjoy Bali!!

Selina said...

Hi Roselyn! Terrific blog, thanks for sharing :-) I'll visit you soon.