Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Mediterranean Breakfast


One of the habits that I've picked up after a year of living in Spain is the Mediterranean breakfast of pan con tomate y aceite de oliva (toasted bread drizzled with olive oil and spread with crushed tomatoes). Along with a cafe con leche, it's how most Andalusians start their day. It's best enjoyed in a typical cafe accompanied by lots of people watching.

This morning, I had my breakfast at a small panaderia (bakery) across the street from the weekly market in San Pedro - breakfast first then food shopping.

There are loads of cafes that serve this but one that is worth a visit is the Cafeteria Marbella located alongside the tiled park called the Alameda in downtown Marbella. This bustling cafe is a lugar tipico (typical place where locals go) and is a great place to try an Andalusian breakfast and watch the world go by.

2 comments:

J.L. said...

Hey,
I lived in Spain for about half a year and your description of the breakfast just brought me back... especially the café con leche.

Gourmet Traveller said...

Hi James,
Nice to know that my post brought back some food memories.
G.T.