Friday, August 15, 2008

Flourless Chocolate Cakes

This week has been chocolate-flavoured. It must be the pregnancy hormones (or am I just making excuses?) but another recipe was calling out to be tried, this time from Donna Hay's basic baking bible Modern Classics Book 2. I was scouring through several cookbooks looking for an easy recipe that involved chocolate and stumbled on this - Flourless Chocolate Cakes. The ingredients list was short and luckily, I had them all in the pantry so here it goes -


Flourless Chocolate Cakes
(from Donna Hay's Modern Classics Book 2)
  • 180 grams (6 oz.) cold unsalted butter, chopped
  • 220 grams (7 1/2 oz.) quality dark cooking chocolate, chopped (I used 70% Lindt)
  • 1 1/4 cups caster (superfine) sugar
  • 3/4 cup almond meal (crushed fine almonds)
  • 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
  • 5 eggs

  • Preheat the oven to 140C (280F).
  • Place the butter, chocolate and sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth.
  • Place the almond meal and cocoa powder in a bowl and whisk in the chocolate mixture.
  • Add the eggs gradually, whisking until well-combined.
  • Grease 12 x 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz) capacity non-stick muffin tins. (I lined my muffin tins with paper cups)
  • Spoon in the mixture and bake for 3o minutes or until firm.
  • Allow to cool in the tins.
  • Serve with thick double cream or chocolate glaze and fresh berries if desired.
  • Makes 12.

(* We made 12 cakes and still had some leftover mixture which my son spooned onto a silicone mini-muffin pan to make babycakes. Perfect served beside a shot of espresso.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love this recipe! I made it for the first time tonight and they turned out perfectly. They rose well and worked great for Gluten free cupcakes. THANK YOU!

Unknown said...

Can I double this recipe ?

Gourmet Traveller said...

Sure. Just make sure to measure out the ingredients carefully.