Saturday, May 17, 2008

Robert Mondavi

Yesterday, one of the world's wine icons passed - Robert Mondavi of the famed Napa Valley winery. At 94, he had travelled the world and relentlessly promoted the food and wine lifestyle.

I met him and his wife, Margrit, in the early nineties when my mom was still importing Mondavi wines to the Philippines. My sisters and I also did an internship at the winery in Napa and helped out in the harvest, known as the "crush". On that day, The Mondavi family were at the vineyard to have a celebratory picnic lunch with all the harvesters and say a prayer for the good year. I also had the chance to meet him when I attended the International Wine Classic and Jazz in the Vineyards in the spring of 1998 with my soon-to-be husband. I met his sons, Michael and Tim at the Vinexpo - in Bordeaux, (1999) and in Hong Kong (1998).

There are so many Mondavi-related memories but best one was our wedding at the Auberge du Soleil in Napa Valley in April 2000 where the Mondavi's graciously gave us all the wines for our wedding reception lunch - one of the many things that Robert Mondavi did to make our day special and share his passion and love for good food, wine and the good life. He will be sorely missed.

No comments: