Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summer grill - Marinated Lamb chops and Aubergine salad

It's been hot and sticky all week and I've been trying my best to avoid the heat, stay indoors or in the shade. Being pregnant in the summer is a pain with the temperature becoming unbearable and my ankles starting to swell :(

But I still couldn't resist making a variation of a recipe I saw while flipping through the July issue of Living magazine from the infamous Martha Stewart. I had just come from The English Butcher in nearby Benavista where I bought some lamb chops, among other things, so it was perfect timing. The marinade was quick and easy. I decided to accompany our summer grilled lunch with a simple tomato and red onion salad and some grilled aubergines with feta cheese. Here's how it all turned out:

_________________________
Grilled Lamb chops
  • For the marinade, mix 6 cloves smashed garlic (or minced if you like), 2 shallot thinly-sliced, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, 1 1/2 cups olive oil, 1/4 cup fresh rosemary and 1/4 cup fresh oregano.
  • Take 1 kilo of lamb chops (about 12) and place in a glass or ceramic dish in one layer.
  • Marinate at least 4 hours or better yet, overnight in the fridge.
  • Remove the lamb chops from the marinade and drain, while you fire up the grill.
  • If you want to use the marinade, bring it to a boil in a small saucepan and serve alongside the meat.
  • Charcoal-grill the lamb chops for about 5 minutes per side (for medium rare).
  • Serve with some rosemary sprigs and the sauce on the side.
  • Serves 4.

Aubergines with feta and mint

  • Slice two large aubergines into thick coins (about 1/2 inch thick) and drizzle some olive oil.
  • In another bowl, mix 200 grams crumbled feta cheese with chopped mint and the juice of half a lemon.
  • When the aubergine is done and still hot, lay on a platter and top with the feta mixture.
  • Drizzle with some more olive oil and serve lukewarm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahhaha..I feel hungry when I read I your post..I had feel an interest to your blog...I wonder if we could link ex-change to my Travels and Tours Blog.Just visit my blog and leave your blog info..Looking forward on this Thnx..

Gourmet Traveller said...

Hi Travels and Tours,

Glad you enjoyed the post. I'll check your blog out in the enxt few days.

G.T.