Saturday, August 02, 2008

Swiss Day


The 1st of August is Swiss National Day and both my husband and son are half-Swiss and his cousin, Lili, was visiting from Lausanne, we celebrated with a dinner at home. We were also celebrating my recent acquisition of Swiss naturalisation, after a wait of seven years and a difficult application process of over a year. No, we didn't have Swiss food as we also had to honor the Argentine half of the equation so it was a summer asado (barbeque) instead but with some Swiss elements thrown in.

I had asked Lili to bring me a bottle of Swiss staple Kressi wine vinegar with herbs which I had read about in Jay Rayner's (the food critic of The Guardian) book - The Man Who Ate the World: In Search of the Perfect Dinner. In one chapter, he raves about the subtle flavour of Kressi and talks about how he once flew to Geneva to try and restock his supply. I had never heard of Kressi before and was curious to try something that brought about a near-obsessive buying trip for this foodie (more on what I did with that in another post).


We had a simple dinner at home of grilled pork ribs, sweet corn on the cob, a grainy mustard potato salad and courgette, Feta and dill fritters. We had this with the Agora Reserva 2004, a Tempranillo from Valdepenas and finished off with some peach crisp and vanilla ice cream.

No comments: