Tuesday, June 08, 2010

JONES THE GROCER

On my last morning in Singapore, I went out of my way to the Dempsey Hill, not far from the Botanical Gardens, to see the up and coming area of restaurants and shops that have sprouted up over there in the recent years.  My destination was Jones the Grocer, an Australian import which opened their combination of delicatessen and cafe in Singapore.

I arrived fairly early yet most tables on the terrace and the few ones indoors were occupied by mostly mums meeting up for a coffee and a few business-looking types having breakfast meetings.  After walking around the store a bit, I got lucky and snagged a table on the terrace right by the entrance, underneath the ceiling fans (very important in humid Singapore).  After checking out the menu, I decided to order the standard breakfast of poached eggs with crispy bacon and sourdough toast, an orange juice and a flat white.  As I sat and waited and tried to access their free WiFi (which unfortunately wasn't working that morning), I watched an endless parade of people walk into Jones the Grocer to sit and have a snack or just to drop by and buy a takeaway sandwich.  It was the perfect end to my two-day Singapore break, a hearty delicious breakfast in a fun place which brought back memories of long ago breakfasts in the Napa Valley outpost of Dean & Delucca.  Another one to add to my Singapore hit list.  Go for breakfast or brunch on the weekend and you won't be disappointed, not only with the good food but with the gourmet retail therapy you get afterwards.
__________________________________
Jones the Grocer
Dempsey Hill
Block 9
#01-12 Dempsey Road
Dempsey Hill 
Singapore, 247697 
Tel:  +65 6476 1512
Open daily from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. except Mondays till 6 p.m.

No comments: